The Diary of a Foodie

These food blogs are made up entirely from my own personal views. I do not work for, or get paid by any of the establishments that I mention.
It is a personal account based on a personal experience, and should be treated as such.
Please use the search box to search for your favourite style of food.
If you would like to suggest anywhere for me to try, please feel free to get in touch.




Thursday 17 February 2011

Shaha/Indian/Carlisle

We try to visit this restaurant once a year to celebrate an anniversary.  Looking back on notes I took last year we perhaps shouldn't be so sentimental  ;)

Situated on Tate Street, just off Botchergate, parking can occasionally be found on Tait Street if you are lucky, otherwise use "William Street" Car Park at the beginning of Tate Street and walk down the road.



It is a first floor restaurant, you have to walk up a set of stairs to get in, so no good for people with mobility issues. The stairs, carpet, and walls on the way up look quite tired and don't give off the best impression.

However, inside is nice.  It used to be a very open plan restaurant, but a few years ago they put in lots of dividing walls making lots of little rooms and alcoves.  We had booked ahead, but we were a bit early so we sat in the bar area for a few minutes before being shown to our table.

We went for some poppadums to start, served cold - I do prefer a warm poppadum, it makes all the difference.  The mint sauce and mango chutney tasted nice, but were so thin it was hard to get them to stay on the poppadom without dripping everywhere.



For a starter I went for Vegetable Pakoras. 


They were "ok", nothing special, and a bit soggy in the middle.

Hubby had Chicken Pakora, he again said nothing special, the chicken was very plain (unspiced) and tasted more like a Sweet & Sour Chicken ball from a Chinese Restaurant.


For a main I went for a Creamy Vegetable Curry (sorry the name of the dish escapes me)  I asked for no onions and peppers, but was told there wouldn't be any in there anyway - which was fine.

I have to say I was a little dissapointed as it was basically a potato curry. Lots of potato, one piece of cauliflower, a few tiny bits of carrot (like frozen diced carrot) and a handful of cabbage.  The sauce was lovely though.  I had forgotten to ask for no onions in the Egg Rice that Hubby and I was sharing, so I asked if I could get just half a portion freshly cooked.  This was done quickly, with no fuss, and wasn't even added to the bill.  Excellent service.


Hubby had Chicken Tikka Garlic.


He said "It was ok, but you can get better in Carlisle".


An hour later I was suffering from tummy issues that I have only ever experienced in Egypt !  I wondered if it was coincidence, but that was the only food I had had for hours.

I had taken the leftovers home (as I often do) and after having them for lunch the next day, was suffering the same symptoms within an hour.  Reading on Trip Advisor, this doesn't seem to be an isolated case sadly.

I have heard they are planning another re-vamp.  New menu and decorating.

Our bill, not including a tip, was around £45 for 2 poppadums, 2 starters, 2 mains, 1 rice, 1 chips, a bottle of wine and a soft drink.

Here are the details should you wish to go, please comment and let us know if you do visit.

Shaha
89 Botchergate
Carlisle,
Cumbria
CA1 1RS
01228 520 050

No comments:

Post a Comment