The Diary of a Foodie

These food blogs are made up entirely from my own personal views. I do not work for, or get paid by any of the establishments that I mention.
It is a personal account based on a personal experience, and should be treated as such.
Please use the search box to search for your favourite style of food.
If you would like to suggest anywhere for me to try, please feel free to get in touch.




Thursday 8 July 2010

The Viceroy/Indian/Carlisle



The Viceroy is a Bangladeshi Restaurant in Carlisle that has been around a long time now.

Tucked away on the edge of Rigg Street, Shaddongate. It is walkable from Carlisle Town Centre (about 10 mins) and there is private parking for about 6 cars outside. On an evening you can abandon your car on Rigg Street itself, although this will be more difficult during the day.




Wednesday night is special night, there is a fabulous deal on offer. For just under £11.00 you get Poppodums & Dips, then followed by any Meat, Chicken or Veg starter from the Menu, following this you can have any Meat, Chicken or Veg main course along with your choice of Rice and a portion of Bombay Potatoes. (You can can pay extra for Tandoori Grill dishes and King Prawn)
We always swap one portion of Bombay Potatoes for chips - The Viceroy chips are gorgeous, home-made, chunky and very tasty, you must try them.



The Poppodums are always served fresh and warm, with the regular dips.

At this restaurant, they are always happy to mess about with ingredients to make me a unique dish, the thought of "mixed vegetables in sauce" fills me with dread - meat eaters wouldn't always want to eat "mixed meat" in every dish, so why should we Veggies?

Although the Viceroy do have the "Mixed Veg dishes on offer on their menu, they have always been more than willing - more so encouraging - for me to have something different.




So this visit I chose "Mushroom Bhuna on Puree" (it is prawn on the menu, so this was adapted for me)

Delicious, really tasty with freshly made puree bread. And no onions as requested :)


(ignore the tomato in the photo, it is not included, I just stole it from my partner).


For the main I just could not decide, so I threw some ideas out - I fancied Paneer (Indian Cheese) and lots of tomatoes in a medium curry sauce. Rogan Josh was suggested so I went with that. It was beautiful, and I will definately choose that dish again.
I had it with Kashmiri Rice, a tasty fried rice with dried fruits.




In the past I have had "Mango Chicken" - swapping the chicken for boiled egg and mushroom, "Cauliflower Bhuna" "Paneer Masalla", so lots of self-designed dishes - don't be afraid to ask.
I never manage to finish this meal deal, but I do take the leftovers home and have them for lunch the next day :)

Service is always spot on, very friendly waiters who greet you like friends.


Mr Ali Senior & Mr Ali Junior.





You can buy a decent Chillean red wine by the mini 'one glass' bottle, which doesn't work out much dearer than buying a big bottle. Fab !

Lovely looking website, easy to navigate, and informative with opening times and menu choices.

1 comment: