The Diary of a Foodie

These food blogs are made up entirely from my own personal views. I do not work for, or get paid by any of the establishments that I mention.
It is a personal account based on a personal experience, and should be treated as such.
Please use the search box to search for your favourite style of food.
If you would like to suggest anywhere for me to try, please feel free to get in touch.




Friday 30 July 2010

The Beehive/Pub Food/Carlisle



My daughter and I were meeting my son for lunch somewhere in town. We decided on the Beehive, as it was close to where he lived and it is a good price for lunch (2 meals for £7.75 - from a list of options)

Situated on Warwick Road in the City, you could walk to it from the City Centre in about 10-15 mins.



Easy enough parking, we parked on street, you can get 2 hours free using a parking disc, but there is also space round the back of the pub for a few cars.

The menus were rather grim, very old and wrinkled with old food stuck on them - one of my bug bears is dirty menus, there is just no need for it really.

I was pleased to spot an old favourite of mine (having eaten it previously at The Gosling Bridge, another "Spirit" owned pub) Asparagus & Brie tart, decision made ! But when we went to order I was told they didn't have any of them as they were in the process of changing menus. I was a bit dissapointed, but never mind, I asked what they had as an alternative - Quorn Chilli - and that was it !


I really didn't fancy Chilli, so I asked if I could get Egg, Chips, some veggies - the man taking the order said "You could just have a couple of starters - the Mushrooms or Potato Wedges", well, yes I could have, but we were planning to have a mixed sharing platter between us to start which had both of those on it. When I question why I couldn't have Egg & Chips he said that he didn't know how to put it through the till. My daughter, who works in a Pub, said "We just put it through as a gammon or something, then go through to the kitchen and tell them 'no meat'" , but he didn't seem to want to do this.


I would have had a wrap sandwich, but there wasn't one Veggie option wrap on the menu at all !!
At this point I am feeling like a really fussy pain in the bum !

In the end I went for Nachos to be served as a main course.

So we started with the mixed sharing platter - Mushrooms, Onion Rings, Garlic Bread, Potato Wedges, Chicken Wings, Chicken Bites and Dips.


Was ok, regular 'chuck it in the fryer and serve' type food, I picked a couple of mushrooms off and the kids ate the rest.

We did take a little time with the starter as we were chatting lots, the minute my son took the last bit the plate was whipped away, and before he had finished his mouthful the mains were served. With RED HOT plates, where they must have been kept warm while we were eating.

The Nachos came ( a little bit burnt at the edges) with melted cheddar on top, and a pot each of sour cream and salsa. They were way way too salty, I nibbled at the ones with the cheese on, dipped in sour cream, but had to leave all of the plain ones. At the end the waitress asked if everything was ok, I mentioned that the Nachos were too salty and she agreed as they were like that when she had them once, but otherwise were they ok? Well, what do you say to that?



I only ate about 1/4 of the portion.


My son had a Mixed Grill, the steak was lukewarm and the chicken was very dry - and for him not to clear his plate is really unusual.






My daughter had sausage & mash, which she enjoyed. No complaints there :)



Then she went on to have a Treacle Sponge and custard, which was microwaved until an inch of it's life, scalding hot and had a thick custard skin on it.



I guess what it all comes down to is that you get what you pay for. For meals as cheap as this you shouldn't really expect quality food and good choices.

I know people that think it's a great place to eat, if you order something like fish and chips I suppose you cannot go far wrong in cooking that - drop it in the fryer and check your watch.

Not good for Veggies though.
Total bill was £32 (not including tip) for one sharing starter, three mains, one pudding and 5 soft drinks.

Here are the details in case you want to try it..

The Beehive
Warwick Road,
Carlisle
CA1 1LH
01228 549 731
If you have been, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment